Sunday, July 28, 2013

IN THE BRAIN OF MY THREE-YEAR OLD

One of the joys of motherhood is watching your children develop and seeing their personalities start to show. Lately, the way that Will thinks has been showing quite frequently. It is fascinating! Will is different from Brooke in many ways. One way is that Brooke always asks questions to put things together in a way that she is satisfied with her understanding of it in her mind. Will is showing lately that he would rather gather his own information and make assumptions of things without even questioning another individual.

Will is so curious that he is still taking objects apart, testing them to see what else they can become and other ways he can use them. Will  even goes as far as making up scenarios in his mind of how something came to be, and he is completely satisfied with his own explanations.

My favorite example of this lately happened today. As we pulled up to the church and parked the car this morning, Will said loudly, " This is Jesus's house." I was impressed! I have never said those words to him. Although it is mentioned in some lessons how to take care of the building because it is a house of God, this has not been a nursery lesson, and I have never spoken to Will about that concept!

We go into the church and after about twenty min. Will made his way in front of the two parents of the family next to us and he looks at the Mother and says, " Where is Jesus? " He then answers his own question and says, " Oh, Jesus is just in the other room." She smiled. It was very cute. After the first hour as we were leaving the sacrament, Will said to me, " Jesus will come back. " I think at that point Will decided the church was Jesus's house but he wasn't there....but he will come back....I said, " You are right Will, he is going to come back someday."

Earlier in the week Grandma Pack was at the craft store with us and she showed Will a skinned rabbit fur that was for sell. She was trying to entertain him and told him, " Look at the soft bunny fur Will." After only a min. of petting the fur of the rabbit, Will said, " But the rabbit! His body is gone! His head is gone!" Grandma Pack consoled him and told him the bunny got sick and died. Will frantically started telling an extravagant story about the rabbit...with stress and disgust in his voice Will said, " Our friends came to our house....the bunny was in our backyard and the friends bit him! The friends were naughty and they ate our bunny's head!" We tried to calm him down but he proceeded to exclaim, " I am going to go get the bad friends."
It was funny, but sad, and kind of disturbing that my three-year old turned the whole scenario into his friends being bad and eating the rabbits head off!

Another funny thing to hear out of your three-year old's mouth is all the tech talk...
Will and I read scriptures on my tablet in his bed before he goes to sleep. My tablet was dead one night and it was way past his bed time so I had brought the old fashioned Book of Mormon picture book into his room to read to him one night. Will said to me, " No, I don't want this book...but where is your tablet? " I said, " Will my tablet is dead, we are going to read from the book. Will said to me, " But...Just go get your phone. " I said, " Will we don't need to read scriptures on a device, come look at the book." Will said, " I will go get your phone." I said, " Will my phone is in the car." Then Will said to me, " Then where is your camera?" At that point all I could do is laugh....and I thought to myself, why is my three-year old attached to technology already? This can't be good....


He is getting bigger and wow, he is very smart! He is determined about his ideas! And my little boy is really just one big sweet heart. When I leave to go anywhere and Daddy stays with him, when I go to give Will a kiss...he kisses me on the lips, and then he says, " Now a kiss on the cheek." He grabs my face and kisses me on my cheek, as if the lips didn't seal the deal for him....He makes us all laugh and smile....

We are so blessed to have our Will!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment