Saturday, January 25, 2014

Brooke Soaring Eagle - RESPECT

This past December, Brooke received an award for being a Soaring Eagle in her school! She got to be in the assembly and she received a cerificate from the school principal and her teacher. The Soaring Eagle awards are based on consistant demonstration of a certain characteristic. Brooke was awarded for being consistently respectful.

Brooke really is a very respectful  girl. She is aware of, and careful about how she interacts with everyone around her. She expresses respect as she understands some of her peers are different from her. Brooke tells me that she notices when someone has a harder time understanding the directions, or assignments, but she always ends her story by saying, " I didn't say anything about it, I just helped them, because I don't want them to feel bad." Brooke treats others how she would like to be treated.

As for teachers, Brooke looks up to them as individuals who she can learn from. She understands when they aren't perfect and she always is engaging, but respectful at the same time.

We are so blessed to be parents of a kind, very smart, fun, and loving girl, that Brooke is....

Lately, Brooke has been pleasantly surprising me with her intelligence and kindness, even more than normal actually. Brooke is in the Gifted and Talented class this year, and in order to stay in the program she will have to be considered again, based on her learning style and abilities. One thing I have been noticing about Brooke is that she sees things in a larger picture. Instead of Brooke just seeing and recalling a certain fact, she thinks  about how the fact relates to everything else. For example we received a flyer about a gym membership. Brooke handed it to me and said, " So Mom, if this is the monthly rate, that means it is will be this much every year, and is that less than you pay for your gym now? " She was correct, about the annual price. I was so surprised that I did a double take at the flyer to see if it mentioned the annual price anywhere on it. It did not. Another thing Brooke has been showing extra kindness has been helping potty train her little brother. Brooke has taken it upon herself to be the potty prize giver. Now I am pretty sure this has something to do with her getting a prize when Will goes potty in the toilet too, but she has been a great help in getting Will excited about going in the big toilet. Brooke has been telling me that she wants to create anti-gravity liquid, she says she is going to help us learn to fly by doing this ;) When reading scriptures last night, we read and saw a video about " All things denoting there is a God." When we were finished Brooke said, " It really is a blessing that we have night and day, and heavenly Father made it that way. If we didn't have dark, it would be really hard to sleep, and that's when our bodies take care of it's self, when we are sleeping."

Brooke has asked for binoculars for her upcoming birthday. I keep asking her why she wants binoculars, and she says, " I want to see things that are far away, and they would come in handy when traveling in the car, so I can see road signs, from very far away. " This actually might come in handy because I am not sure why we do, but we still miss exits on our way to KC even after 9 years of driving there from Texas??? She is trying to think of a solution I guess!!! HAHA

Brooke really wanted an apple tree for Christmas. I kept telling her they take a long time to grow big, and its winter, so we can't plant one...This is how the conversation goes, " But, I want the apple tree so someday it will get big and we can build a tree house in it and have fresh apples." I say, " Brooke, we get apples from the store all the time, are you sure you just aren't wanting a tree house? " She says, " No, I just want to be able to pick apples from my backyard." I say, " The tree takes a long time to grow apples." she says, " Well, we should plant one now, so that someday we will have apples in our backyard." I say, " And, what if we never get a tree house in the backyard, do you still want an apple tree? " She says, " Yes, I really want one Mom. It would be good to have that in our backyard so we don't have to go to the store for apples."

I guess maybe I will be getting an apple tree in the backyard sometime...and I will probably be glad years later that I did???? There she is always thinking ahead...my sweet beautiful daughter Brooke...


No comments:

Post a Comment