Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fatherhood


In that most burdensome moment of all human history, with blood appearing at every pore and an anguished cry upon His lips, Christ sought Him whom He had always sought—His Father. “Abba,” He cried, “Papa,” or from the lips of a younger child, “Daddy.”

This is such a personal moment it almost seems a sacrilege to cite it. A Son in unrelieved pain, a Father His only true source of strength, both of them staying the course, making it through the night—together.

Even as He moved toward the Crucifixion, He restrained His Apostles who would have intervened by saying, “The cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?”  When that unspeakable ordeal was finished, He uttered what must have been the most peaceful and deserved words of His mortal ministry. At the end of His agony, He whispered, “It is finished: … Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.”  Finally it was over. Finally He could go home.
                                                                                                    Jeffery Holland

 I can surly relate at a much smaller scale what it is like to cry the words " Daddy ". They say that I smiled at him when the nurse handed me to him. They say that he held me all night for the years of my baby years, I had constant ear infections. The first words I said were " Dada." Kevin said I called for him when I was delivering Brooke. I don't remember it, but I am sure I did, I was on strange medication for high blood pressure.

Although I can never relate or imagine the unexplainable pain that must have been involved for God, to watch his son suffer in his mortal existence, I know that God gave men the role of fatherhood, so that they could come as close as possible, to relate to his experience of a deep unconditional love for your child.

I have had the blessing of always knowing that my Father had an unconditional love for me. The dates to the zoo, museums and parks will always be cherished in my heart. The hours he sat at gymnastic classes, or meets will forever be appreciated. His Christ-like example is a part of my deep rooted beliefs. His hard work showed me what work can give you, and his love for my Mother showed me what kind of love, that I should expect from my husband.

Today my children are immensely blessed to have my Father in their life. The love he gives us continues to influence who we all are today, and who my children will be in the future.

Grandpa is always known for being silly, being warm and cuddly. The fixer of every and any problem, and the best hugger ever...

At twenty-nine years old he will still hold me in his arms and let me cry on his shoulder.

I can hardly imagine how much God loves me, because I know he loves me more than my Father does, and that hardly seems impossible to me....

The amount of energy that my Father has put into showing all of his children love is amazing to me. We are all very blessed to have him as a Father.


We love you very much Dad- Happy Father's Day












No comments:

Post a Comment